Pages Navigation Menu

ON-LINE MAGAZINE & WEB SITE - SCROLL DOWN FOR NEWS

☛ QHN parent company selling 11 newspapers-8-15-17

Posted by on Aug 15, 2017 in BREAKING NEWS, COW HORSE NEWS, CUTTING NEWS, HORSE NEWS, INDUSTRY NEWS, REINING NEWS, WHO, WHAT & WHERE | 0 comments

QUARTER HORSE NEWS PARENT COMPANY SELLING 11 PAPERS TO GATEHOUSE MEDIA

 

QUARTER HORSE NEWS NOT LISTED AS SELLING

Press release from Morris Communications
Aug. 15, 2017

In a press release dated Aug. 9, 2017, Morris Communications, the parent company of Quarter Horse News, announced they were selling 11 of its daily and non-daily newspaper holdings including its Lubbock, Texas-based commercial printing operation (West Texas Printing) and other related publications to GateHouse Media, Inc. The sale is expected to be finalized on Oct. 2, 2017. The company will focus on lifestyle and niche publications, broadband operations, property development and new business. Quarter Horse News is not listed as a publication they will be selling.

The daily newspapers they are offerings theFlorida Times-Union in Jacksonville, Fla.; the St.Augustine (Fla.) Record; The Savanah (Ga.) Morning News; TheAugusta (Ga.) Chronicle; The Athens (Ga.) Banner-Herald; Lubbock (Texas) Avalanche-Journal; Amarillo (Texas Globe-News; the Topeka (Kan.) Capital Journal; Log Cabin Democrat (Conway, Ark.); Juneau (Alaska) Empire Peninsula Clarion (Kenai, Alaska) and Homer (Alaska) News.

William S. “Billy” Morris III,Chairman of Morris Communications, will remain as publisher of the Augusta Chronicle and will oversee editorial-page policy for the three Morris newspapers in Georgia.

Morris said, “Every newspaper company in America is battling trends and redirected advertising dollars necessary for newspapers to be part of a large newspaper group to build and maintain the necessary resources to compete.”

William S.Morris IV, president and CEO of Morris Communications said, “As the company transitions to the third generation of leadership, we are enthusiastic about our plans to diversify our business holdings with print and digital communications, broadband and real estate development.

Click for full article>>

Read More

☛ New Congress to introduce new SAFE Act, banning horse slaughter 8-7-17

Posted by on Aug 6, 2017 in BREAKING NEWS, COW HORSE NEWS, CUTTING NEWS, HORSE ABUSE, INDUSTRY NEWS, REINING NEWS, WHO, WHAT & WHERE | 0 comments

NEW CONGRESS TO INTRODUCE NEW SAFE ACT TO BAN HORSE SLAUGHTER IN 2017

Aug. 6, 2017

The NEW Safeguard American Food Exports (SAFE) Act, which would prevent the horse slaughter industry from establishing operations in the United States and prohibit the export of American horses for slaughter abroad, was introduced in the Senate on Aug. 2, 2017. These House’s version of the bill was introduced earlier this year.

The bill already has bipartisan support; however, it’s vital that past co-sponsors sign on again. Also new members of the House and Senate need to be educated about the issue of horse slaughter and the importance of finally banning horse slaughter once and for all.

The fight to ban horse slaughter through a federal bill is now a decade old and each year that passes without a ban sees more than 100,000 American horses shipped over our borders to be butchered for human consumption.

Advocates are asking that you email your U.S. Representatives and Senators, urging them to cosponsor and support the SAFE Act.

Read More

☛ AQHA Terminates Incentive Fund 8-7-17

Posted by on Aug 6, 2017 in BREAKING NEWS, COW HORSE NEWS, CUTTING NEWS, EQUI-VOICE, HORSE NEWS, INDUSTRY NEWS, REINING NEWS, WHO, WHAT & WHERE | 0 comments

AQHA TERMINATES INCENTIVE FUND PROGRAM

Published by AQHA
Aug. 6, 2017

As a means to conclude the program, the American Quarter Horse Association Incentive Fund   will not accept foal nominations past 2018 and, effective immediately, will no longer accept stallion nominations.

“The AQHA Incentive Fund was a landmark program for the equine industry, having paid out more than $80 million in its lifetime,” said AQHA Chief Show Officer Pete Kyle. “The fund was so successful that it became a model for many others. However, multiple factors in the past decade contributed to the Incentive Fund’s decline.”

Ultimately, a lack of participation led the AQHA Executive Committee, at its July 2017 meeting, to approve the incentive program’s termination. The conclusion of the program will allow time and resources to move to the research and development of new potential incentive programs for competitors and breeders.

With no new stallion nominations coming in, the Incentive Fund should conclude in a few years.

“For owners and nominators wondering when the last payout will be made, we are looking closely at the financial reports for the Incentive Fund and will make a decision about that very soon,” said AQHA Treasurer and Chief Operating Officer Trent Taylor. “Preliminary examination indicates it will likely pay through the 2020 show season.”

Depending on the breeding and foaling year, stallion and foal nominators can apply for a nomination refund as follows:

  • Stallion nominators for 2017 breeding season – option of refund or nominator may opt to remain in the Incentive Fund as it winds down
  • 2017 foal nominators – option of refund if the nominator is still the recorded owner of the foal or the nominator may opt to remain in the Incentive Fund as it winds down
  • Nomination payments for stallions or foals made prior to 2017 are non-refundable, as such payments have already been allocated/distributed for payout years

Refunds must be applied for by September 30, 2017.

As stated above, 2018 foals may be nominated but only if the sire was nominated for the 2017 breeding season and such stallion nominator does not request a refund.

“To anyone who has ever nominated a foal or stallion, owned or shown an Incentive Fund horse, thank you for supporting the program,” Kyle said. “It was your support that made this the greatest incentive fund program in the equine industry.”

For questions regarding the Incentive Fund and its termination, read the AQHA Incentive Fund Q&A and Incentive Fund timeline.

To request a refund, contact Brianna Charles at 806-378-4535 or bcharles@aqha.org.

AQHA News and information is a service of the American Quarter Horse Association. For more news and information, follow @AQHAnews on Twitter and visit www.aqha.com/news.

Read More

☛ Peter J Cofrancesco III passes at age 45 – 8-5-17

Posted by on Aug 5, 2017 in BREAKING NEWS, EQUI-VOICE, INDUSTRY NEWS, WHO, WHAT & WHERE | 0 comments

AQHA HALL OF FAMER AND PAST PRESIDENT PETER J. CONFRANCESCO III DIES AT AGE 45

Aug. 5, 2017

Peter J. Confrancesco III passes at age 45

AQHA lost a staunch supporter with the death of Peter J Cofrancesco III, 45, Sparta, N.J.≤ when he passed away  after falling ill on Tuesday, Aug. 1. His death came only days after a case displaying his memorabilia was unveiled July 26 at the American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame & Museum in Amarillo, Texas.  He had been inducted into the AQHA Hall of Fame in March.

The son of another AQHA Icon, Peter Confrancesco Jr., Peter was raised with Quarter Horses and became the President of the (AJQHA) American Junior Quarter Horse Association on his way to becoming the President of the AQHA, an office he served from 2011-2012. In 2008, Peter was elected to the AQHA Executive Committee.

Peter and his family competed in 4-H with horses and purebred Hereford cattle, but switched their focus almost exclusively to horses as Peter moved into Amateur competition, showing halter horses. It was while competing at the All American Quarter Horse Congress that he met his wife Carmen and they were married in 1999. The couple have three children: Ireland, Peter IV and Emma.

When his father died in 2001, Peter and his siblings assumed leadership of The Grinnell Group of Companies, the family’s manufacturing, waste and recycling company. Peter also took his father’s place on the New Jersey Horse Racing Commission and, with his mother, developed a popular horse charity in Sussex County.

Peter was also influential in forming the World Conformation Horse Association, an AQHA alliance partner that holds an annual futurity, as well as classes at major shows including the AQHA World Championship Show.

Survivors include his wife, Carmen, their three children, all at home; his mother, Peggy Confrancesco; two brothers: Jason and Jarrod; a sister Darla and many friends and family.

Viewing will be held at Our Lady of the Lake Catholic Church in Sparta Township on Monday, Aug. 7 from 2-8 p.m. The funeral mass will be at Our Lady of the Lake at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, immediately followed by interment in the St. Thomas of Aquin RC Cemetery, #53 Kennedy Ave., Ogdensburg, N.J.  In lieu of flowers, memorials in Peter’s memory may be made to Pope John Angel’s Fund, #18 Andover Rd., Sparta, NJ 07871.

An account has also been established as a college scholarship for Peter’s three children called the Peter J. Confrancesco III Scholarship Foundation. Contribution can be mailed in that name to 320 N. Church Rd., Sparta, NJ 06871.

Information for the above article came from the AQHA as well as other sources.

Read More

☛ Tommy Manion on camera shooting stallion with BB pistol 7-20-17

Posted by on Jul 20, 2017 in BREAKING NEWS, COW HORSE NEWS, CUTTING NEWS, EQUI-VOICE, FROM THE EDITOR, HORSE ABUSE, INDUSTRY NEWS, REINING NEWS, RICK'S CORNER, WHO, WHAT & WHERE | 16 comments

TOMMY MANION CAUGHT ON CAMERA SHOOTING AN UNRULY STALLION WITH A BB PISTOL AT AN NCHA-SANCTIONED SHOW

 

BESIDES NCHA SANCTIONING, COULD HE AND/OR NCHA EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEMBERS BE GUILTY OF STATE OR FEDERAL LAWS VIOLATIONS?

By Glory Ann Kurtz
July 20, 2017

I have now heard from a credible witness, that they knew the well-known Non-Pro who was at an NCHA Cutting in Whitesboro, Texas, on Saturday, July 15, and shot a tied-up unruly stallion multiple times with a BB pistol. Another witness had taken a video of the event and it was soon in the hands of the NCHA. The witness assured me that the Non-Pro  in question was NCHA Non-Pro Tommy Manion, who at one time had the pistol under a jacket draped over his hand and dropped it on the ground and bent over to pick it up – all of which is on the video.

After receiving and confirming the reported horse abuse by Manion, I reached out to Rick Dennis, a Threat Assessment/Risk Analyst who is also a former Drug Enforcement Agent, for clarification of penalties resulting from Manion’s actions – for Manion, those who witnessed the event and the NCHA. Essentially, Rick informed me there are two laws in play here, one Federal, the other state, as well as two NCHA rule infractions.

There is a little-known Federal Law entitled 18 USC 4 – Misprision Of A Felony, which specifically states:  “Whoever having knowledge of the actual commission of a felony cognizable by a court of the United States, conceals and does not as soon as possible make known the same to some judge or other person in civil or military authority under the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.” Animal abuse is now a Federal Felony with hefty fines and prison sentences.

Click for Misprision Of A Felony>>

Also, the State of Texas Animal Cruelty Law, which rates animal abuse as a Felony, states those prosecuted could be punishable by two years in a state jail and/or a $10,000 fine.

Click for Texas Animal Cruelty laws>>

Therefore, since the NCHA has already been notified of the animal cruelty case, along with being supplied with a video of the act, Manion has placed the association in a precarious spot, as whoever doesn’t report this gross violation to law enforcement in accordance with the provisions set forth in the USC 4 Code -Misprision of a Felony – is in direct violation of the federal law and could be subjected to arrest and prosecution at a later date. This includes Russell McCord, who received the phone call, as well as the Executive Director and the entire Executive Committee who met last night after being informed of the incident and determined their association’s punishment for the offense – and possibly even the lawyer who was informed of the infraction and gave the Executive Committee advice, as well as show management.

Difference of penalties between NCHA and governmental agencies:

The other curious nature of Manion’s act is the two violations in the NCHA Rulebook pertaining to animal abuse and cruelty and how they differ from Federal and State laws.

More specifically, the NCHA Rulebook states “if show management or a judge at any NCHA-approved or sponsored event discovers inhumane treatment or abuse of a horse, they may immediately bar the responsible party and contestant’s horse from further competition in the event and the judge will give a score of zero. The Executive Director must be notified within seven (7) days of the closing date of the show involved and the complaint will be referred to the appropriate NCHA Committee for investigation and consideration. Note: the Federal law says “as soon as possible It must be made known to some judge or other person in civil or military authority under the United States and (the person) is to be fined or  imprisoned for not more than three years.”

Click for NCHA Standing Rule 35>>

While the NCHA disciplines animal cruelty by offense with a fine ($1,000 to $10,000), probation and/or suspension, the State of Texas Animal Cruelty Laws say that the perpetrator could be punished by two years in a state jail and/or a $10,000 fine.

Also, the NCHA should make sure that the abused animal is made available as soon as possible to a licensed veterinarian for any damage that has been done, especially since the person who described the incident to me said the when the BBs hit the stallion, he crouched and his body shook in fear.

On May 15, 2015, Rick Dennis wrote an article addressing this very problem called “Horse Abuse Part IV.” There are many good and devoted trainers in this industry; however, unfortunately we do have our share of abusive Open and Non-Pro trainers that should be removed. Click here for a copy of this article.

What’s the  hurry?

Why did the NCHA Executive Committee jump on this animal abuse case so quickly. I feel it is because they just tried to strengthen their animal abuse penalties due to the fact that PETA might come down on them and the sport of cutting if they waited. A smart move!

Read More

☛ From the Editor 7-20-17

Posted by on Jul 20, 2017 in BREAKING NEWS, COW HORSE NEWS, CUTTING NEWS, FROM THE EDITOR, HORSE ABUSE, INDUSTRY NEWS, MAJOR EVENTS, REINING NEWS, SALES INFORMATION, WHO, WHAT & WHERE | 0 comments

FROM THE EDITOR

By Glory Ann Kurtz
July 20, 2017

Yesterday I sent out a notice in “Latest News” that a “well-known horse owner shot a tied-up unruly stallion multiple times with a BB pistol at an NCHA cutting in Whitesboro, Texas. An update to that information is that the show was held on Saturday, July 15, rather than July 8. Also, that well-known horse owner is a top non-pro. NCHA’s Director of Judges Russell McCord was called and told what was going on and he told the caller to do whatever it took to stop it and make the person shooting the horse leave, which he did.

A bystander did take a video of the shooting which is now in the hands of the NCHA, and I understand that they have initiated the process against the person that did the shooting, as it is definitely against’ the NCHA’s highly advertised zero tolerance “horse-cruelty” policy. Still no mention of that person’s name but I do know that that person is a Non-Pro and a large advertiser in the Cutting Horse Chatter, giving the NCHA some hard choices.

I was given the name of the perpetrator; however, that person who told me about the shooting was not at the show and heard the information from someone who was. I would like to hear it from anyone who was present at this cutting who knew who the shooter was. I will not reveal your name. Call me at 940-433-5232 or 940-393-1865 or e-mail me at glory.kurtz@gmail.com. Since the NCHA has taken action, If that person’s name is not revealed sooner, I’m sure the perpetrator’s name will show up eventually in the Chatter under “Suspensions,” or possibly (but hopefully not) under “Probations.”

NCHA SUMMER SPECTACULAR NEWS:

The second go-round of the Open Classic/Challenge was completed yesterday, with those 26 scoring a 435.0 and above, advancing to the finals. Jon Burgess, riding Littlemak (Starlights Gypsy x Just a Swinging), owned by Anderson Cattle Co., Victoria, Texas, topped the two go-rounds with a 440.5 total score.

Grant Setnicka, not only finished a close second by scoring a 440.0 riding Ichis My Choice (Cat Ichi x My Little Abra), owned by J Five Horse Ranch Mgmt, LLC, Weatherford, Texas, but was the only rider to qualify three horses for the Finals. Also tying for second with a total score of 440.0 was Ed Flynn, riding Play Miss Boonsmal (Peptoboonsmal x Play Miss) for Danny R. Jones of Canada. The Open Classic/Challenge Finals is scheduled for Saturday,July 22, following six sets of the NCHA Derby Amateur and UnlimitedAmateur first go-round.

The Non-Pro and Limited Non-Pro in the Classic/Challenge  go-round is being held today. Also, don’t forget that the Western Bloodstock Summer Spectacular Sale,with 145 consignments, will be held Saturday, July 22, in the Watt Arena, starting at 9 a.m.

Read More